Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Every year over 20,000 people go to the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and swap out the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a stove to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 866-397-3787 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Yearly HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
As soon as the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm atmosphere. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you crave while using a reduced amount of energy. Scheduled inspections also... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the continuously changing world of home HVAC, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise to... Continue reading