With the winter season we all tend to spend most of our time inside trying to stay warm. While sometimes curling up with a blanket and drinking coffee will do the trick, Parker Pearce Service Experts is here with some tips on how to stay warm (and safe!) this season.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Make sure you have carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed on every floor of your home, especially near bedrooms, and test them to make sure they are working. Since CO cannot be detected because it is odorless and invisible, it’s vital that you have working CO detectors to make sure you are safe.
Get Your Chimney Inspection
This is the ideal time of year to get the fireplace going, but before you do, ensure you have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a specialist. The fireplace can be a source of CO if you don’t have it regularly cleaned and maintained.
Be Careful with Space Heaters
Space heaters are typically safe, energy efficient, and an effective way to heat small regions of your home, but verify it has been authorized by a recognized testing laboratory and comes with an automatic shut-off feature. Observe all manufacturer’s instructions and be sure it is placed on a hard, level surface at least 3 feet away from any flammable products.
With a heating tune-up from Parker Pearce Service Experts in Gaithersburg, we will perform a safety check of your furnace to be sure there are no leaks or CO issues. Along with a heating tune-up, confirm your heating vents are free from obstruction and that you’re changing your air filter every month. This will prevent the air flow from becoming restricted and help avoid allergens from exacerbating respiratory issues.
If You Need Help Staying Warm, Ask
There are right ways and wrong ways to heat your home – using the oven, a grill, or a camp stove are all wrong ways. Using these appliances to heat your home could create a fire or a dangerous reserve of carbon monoxide. If you need support paying your energy bills, visit NeedHelpPayingBills.com to find a service in Gaithersburg.
To ensure your home is ready to keep you safe and warm all winter long, call Parker Pearce Service Experts at 301-476-4577 today.