Smart vs. Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors: How to Select the Best Carbon Monoxide Detector for Your Residence
As fall approaches, now is an excellent time to begin thinking about your home’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season begins, the Centers for Disease Control says the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a result of combustion your gas furnace uses to heat your home. When your heater is operating properly, the gas is securely pushed outside of your residence. Cracks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to seep into your home, where prolonged exposure can be deadly.
Regardless of the fact carbon monoxide poisoning is avoidable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. die because of it every year. And another approximately 50,000 people go to the ER due to related issues, such as headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can help your home is by organizing annual maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, including your furnace and water heater, and installing a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s a solution on the market to work for your home and budget.
Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, like the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it straightforward to stay on top of keeping your loved ones safe. They’re usually available as dual-purpose carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can generally be linked with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other perks of installing them in your house:
- Signals that there’s an issue through voice notifications, in addition to alerts on your phone.
- Locates the problem area, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be shut off from your phone.
- Automatically checks its sensors and batteries and reveals findings through a full report on your phone.
- Alerts you of dying batteries with an alert on your phone, not a loud chirp in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the brand.
The only downside of using Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the price. These detectors are frequently much more expensive than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also provide many helpful and worthy features you don’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re buying a new device, it’s crucial to understand where to place carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency suggests placing a carbon monoxide detector approximately five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is because carbon monoxide can rise with heated air.
We encourage installing a detector on each floor of your residence, especially outside bedrooms. You’ll want to be sure the noise will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most reasonable. A few of the most popular models are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have fewer features that don’t work with your phone or smart home devices. They usually have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association advises testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms each month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in ought to be tested every week. If you’re wondering how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s more or less easy. Press the button to make sure your detector is running.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to change the backup battery at least every year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to change it once a month to bypass the dreaded chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re hearing a chirp or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping regularly, it usually indicates it has a low battery. Or, it’s reaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors last depends on the brand you own. In general, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to check instructions from your device’s manufacturer.
If you’re concerned about why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s likely due to the fact it’s picking up dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continuous, loud beeping, leave your residence as quickly as possible and dial 911.
Now is a good time to make sure your carbon monoxide detector is running like it’s supposed to before heating season begins. If you need to set up furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Parker Pearce Service Experts can provide support. Reach us at 301-476-4577 today and we’ll help you pick the perfect carbon monoxide detector for your residence.