When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Parker Pearce Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to return outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Parker Pearce Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Gaithersburg, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Gaithersburg or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 301-476-4577 or schedule an appointment with Parker Pearce Service Experts through our online scheduler.