When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Parker Pearce Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Parker Pearce Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Gaithersburg, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Gaithersburg or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Parker Pearce Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.