Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s probably something wrong with your AC. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—issues down the road. We’re going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t identify where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. A technician can help determine where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is probably an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your outdoor unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about common air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s something wrong with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s better to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Yearly HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
As soon as the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm atmosphere. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you crave while using a reduced amount of energy. Scheduled inspections also... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the continuously changing world of home HVAC, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise to... Continue reading