According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?
The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is among the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Gaithersburg home?
- Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can phone Parker Pearce Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to ascertain no CO2 leaks are present at the onset of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new heating unit.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.